The Saint Michael’s Gardeners are a group of Cathedral volunteers who look after ongoing maintenance of the gardens.
There are generally about ten members, which include two members who plant and harvest a vegetable garden to supply seasonal produce for the Cathedral Cupboard food bank.
We hold a spring clean-up day in March to get the garden ready for the new season. Every 3-4 years the garden is mulched after spring clean-up. This is another big volunteer event of 25-30 people.
The goal is to create a beautiful, water-wise landscape that looks good in all seasons and is easy to maintain.
During the pandemic, in July 2020, gardeners and other volunteers made up bouquets from the Cathedral lavender and delivered them to most households in the congregation with a focus on the elderly and shut-ins.
Contact: Gwen Steele, garden coordinator
Click on image to enlarge.
The Men’s Non-Group (casual) engages in a variety of activities that assist in the life of the St Michael’s community throughout the year. It also provides an opportunity for the men of the Cathedral to get together for camaraderie and fun. Some of their endeavours have included:
- Baking cookies and treats and serving the coffee and tea for after Sunday services
- Cooking for our annual Shrove Tuesday pancake suppers
- Assisting with the annual spring garden
- Showcasing their barbecuing skills at special parish events
- Golfing and breakfast get-togethers on Mondays throughout the summer season at Kelowna Springs Golf Course
New members are always welcome!
Contact: Andy Griffin